Editor’s Note: As of January 2022, iland is now 11:11 Systems, a managed infrastructure solutions provider at the forefront of cloud, connectivity, and security. As a legacy iland.com blog post, this article likely contains information that is no longer relevant. For the most up-to-date product information and resources, or if you have further questions, please refer to the 11:11 Systems Success Center or contact us directly.
We are rapidly approaching the end of 2016. With it will come one million blogs prognosticating 2017 trends, setting priorities, and suggesting resolutions. We are also rapidly approaching, for many, the 2017 budget cycle, the most coveted gala event of the IT year.
This won’t be a blog about new promises, new plans, or new resolutions. This will be a blog about an old one: DRaaS.
Every year, business continuity gets cut from the budget. We’re not, as a species, terribly good at assessing risks – among them, the risk of IT system failure. It’s one of our weaknesses. And, we may or may not be great at batting away objections. But, a little preparation can help.
Five major objections dominate the disaster recovery budget discussion:
- It’s going to cost a fortune. It’s not. Truly. It’s billed by VM or by TB of storage. The costs are remarkably low – if you stop anchoring on “second data center in another state.” Ask the friendly 11:11 Systems person in the chat bot that just popped up on the screen.
- But I have backup down the hall. Sure you do. But, if the whole building goes dark, so do your backups. Also, most IT folks will tell you it takes hours – if not days – to restore from a backup.
- We don’t get weather! How lovely! But, most business outages happen due to power failures, upgrade problems, user errors, or malicious attacks – not hurricanes.
- We don’t have outages. Uh … have you perhaps been very – scrupulous – with the information you give to the higher-ups?
- We can handle a little downtime. Perhaps. Most companies these days recognize that lost revenue and poor customer and employee sentiment are not to be trifled with.
We did a whole webinar on this topic: Keeping Disaster Recovery in the Budget: Overcoming Objections & Making the Case. Watch the webinar OnDemand now. Look into the options: 11:11 DRaaS for Zerto and 11:11 DRaaS for Veeam.
Our DRaaS experts can quickly help assess what you need, price a solution, and demonstrate the magic, so you, in turn, are well prepared to get this longstanding to-do item DONE.